Thursday, April 8, 2010

Sunday, March 14th at First United Methodist Church


What a wonderful Sunday at home, attending the First United Methodist Church built in 1812 with CooCoo Tubman Tucker and her grandchildren. The church is located almost across the road from the Old Mansion where my Mom and I would visit Mrs. Tubman and CooCoo when I was a teenager. Her father was President William V.S. Tubman, who died in 1971. My parents were knighted by President Tubman for services in Liberia. The music, well ... you had to be there!

I spent most of the day with their family. It was precious seeing Old Ma Tubman. She is 96. She was a good friend of my Mom, and kept asking me where my Ma was. I assured her that both Ma and Pa are with Jesus now. She wanted me to go get them, so she could visit with them. We had a precious visit.

Late afternoon Christine and I went to visit Vice President and Mrs. Joseph Boakai at their home. He had a copy of The College of West Africa 1966 year book, my graduating class. We were in school together. We looked at the pictures, laughed and story told of good memories. "Sugar Star" was my school name. It was great getting to know his sweet wife, Kartumu. At the end of our visit, we stood in a circle and prayed.

Rainy season is almost here. The black clouds crept across the sky closing in to beat us with a torrent of rain. Falling asleep with a choir of tropical birds, dogs barking and bull frogs bringing up the bass was music to my ear.

No comments:

Post a Comment